How you can remove CCJs from your Credit Score

Often times an individual that has defaulted on their loan is unaware of the next course of action. When an individual receives a county court summons, he or she may not realize that they are expected to attend court to fight the summons or agree to the terms.

If the debtor does nothing, the court renders a "Judgment By Default." A County Court Judgment (CCJ) can be incredibly harmful to your credit record, and can make it difficult to find loans and credit in the future. As such, if you have a CCJ on your loan due to an undefended summons, it is best to remove the judgment as soon as possible so that it does not continue to affect your credit report.


 How to Remove a CCJ

To remove a CCJ from your record, you will need the following information/documents:

- The original court summons you received
- The name of the creditor/lender that took out the summons on you
- The name of the court you were supposed to attend
- The case number - without which you may not even be able to have your case looked at, let alone removed. The case number is vital for removal of a CCJ, and if you have lost it, you can pay the registry £15 to receive the details.

Once you have all the documents in hand, write a letter to the Chief Clerk at the Registry of Court Judgments clearly indicating your case and the problem.

Note: You must be in the process of paying back the loan or have already paid back the loan in full for the CCJ to be removed. If you are still not making payments, it will be difficult to convince the court that the CCJ is not warranted.

Include in your letter form number N244 , and include a valid reason or reasons that you did not originally battle the CCJ in court. Valid reasons include not receiving the summons, being unable to attend court, not being given the proper amount of notice, you did not receive a default notice, etc. A valid reason is necessary in order to fight the CCJ. "I forgot" will not be an acceptable answer.

Write to each of the credit agencies letting them know that you are both asking for the judgments to be set aside by the court and willing to continue to make payments. These agencies will usually still work with you in order to receive the debt you owe.

Always pay for return mail postage so that you can receive confirmation from these agencies and courts that the letters have been received and are in process. Not sending postage will not guarantee you a response and will make it difficult to follow up should the CCJ still be on your record.

Should you follow these steps, you should be able to have your CCJ set aside and taken off of your credit record.


 Monthly Repayment   £
  • Please include your total income
  • Income
    Amount ( £) Frequency
    Home Secured Loans Debt Consolidation Bad Credit Home Loans Personal Loans Articles Resources Contact Us